Advertising

US ambassador confirms Kuzmin's US visa cancelled, but he can apply for a new one

Author: Interfax-Ukraine All articles by this author

More about Interfax-Ukraine

Dec. 11, 2012 08:00
215 159
U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine John Tefft has confirmed that Ukrainian First Deputy Prosecutor General Renat Kuzmin's U.S. visa has been canceled.
Photo by Kostyantyn Chernichkin

U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine John Tefft has confirmed that Ukrainian First Deputy Prosecutor General Renat Kuzmin's U.S. visa has been canceled. 

"I can confirm that his visa has been canceled, but there were no plans to arrest him," he told reporters in Kyiv on Monday.

Tefft said that the visa had been cancelled in line with U.S. legislation.

"Mr. Kuzmin knows the reason why he was denied a visa, but I cannot disclose this reason to you," he said.

When asked whether such steps by the U.S. side are related to the last resolution of the U.S. Congress, he said: "This cancelation of the visa does not concern the Congress decisions. These things are not related."

In addition, the U.S. diplomat said that Kuzmin could apply for a new U.S. visa, but he, like anyone else, should come in for an interview and explain the purpose of his trip to the United States.

As reported, Kuzmin, in a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama, said that on October 19, 2012, Tefft informed him about the cancelation of his five-year U.S. visa, without explaining the reasons for such a decision.

Tags:


215 159

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.

comments powered by Disqus

Read more in {{sectionName}} section

All in {{sectionName}} section

SUBSCRIBE TO KYIV POST NEWSLETTERS