Moscow to declare Katyn massacre victims innocent (updated)
The Katyn massacre has been a source of tension between Russia and Poland for decades since the Soviet Union blamed the killings on the Nazis. It was only last year that Russia formally took the blame when the lower chamber of Russian parliament admitted the executions were ordered by Soviet leader Josef Stalin.
Prosecutors closed the criminal case against the Polish officers in 2004.
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in a radio interview on Friday that Moscow is "ready to consider a perfectly legitimate request to declare these people innocent."
Several Polish families went to the European Court of Human Rights to prove the victims' innocence. Lavrov said Russia is anxious to work out a solution that would "satisfy families of the Polish officers and keep Russia within the legal framework."
Russia's ambassador to Poland said earlier this year that Russia made a political decision to declare the officers innocent of any crimes against the Soviet Union.
Lavrov confirmed Friday that Moscow and Warsaw are still thinking about how to settle the issue.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.comments powered by Disqus