Foreign Ministry: no comment on annulment of Kuzmin's US visa
The Foreign Ministry of Ukraine will not comment on the cancellation of the U.S. visa of First Deputy Prosecutor General of Ukraine Renat Kuzmin, the ministry's spokesman, Oleksandr Dykusarov, has said.
"We are not commenting on the issue. I have nothing to add. Anyone can [read] the statements of the deputy prosecutor general and the U.S. ambassador. We are not commenting on the issue," he said at a press briefing in Kyiv on Tuesday.
As reported, First Deputy Prosecutor General of Ukraine Renat Kuzmin wrote a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama saying that on Oct. 19, 2012 U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine John Tefft informed him about the cancellation of his five-year U.S. visa, without explanation of reasons for the decision.
On Monday, Dec. 10, U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine John Tefft confirmed that Kuzmin's U.S. visa has been canceled. Tefft said that the visa had been cancelled in line with U.S. legislation.
"Mr. Kuzmin knows the reason why he was denied a visa, but I cannot disclose this reason to you," he said.
When asked whether such steps by the U.S. side are related to the last resolution of the U.S. Congress, he said: "This cancelation of the visa does not concern the congressional decisions. These things are not related."
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.comments powered by Disqus