Advertising

Kuchma dismisses all charges by Prosecutor General's Office (updated)

Author: Interfax-Ukraine All articles by this author

More about Interfax-Ukraine


Mar. 24, 2011 10:24
215 159
Former President Leonid Kuchma enters prosecutor's office on March 23, 2011.
Photo by AP
Ukraine's second President (1994-2005) Leonid Kuchma has arrived in the Main Investigative Department of the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office for the second questioning as a suspect in the murder of journalist Georgy Gongadze.
Kuchma dismissed all the charges by the Prosecutor General's Office and refused to undergo face-to-face interrogation with former major of Ukrainian State Guard Department Mykola Melnychenko.


"I was given an order on the institution of criminal proceedings... Absolutely no new evidence has come out," he told journalists before the PGO.

Besides, the ex-president refused to undergo a face-to-face interrogation with former major of Ukrainian State Guard Department Mykola Melnychenko.

"I think he is a traitor," Kuchma told reporters.

The Prosecutor General's Office has charged Kuchma with the abuse of office with severe consequences. If found guilty, he may be imprisoned from five to twelve years and barred from occupying certain positions. So far, Kuchma is released on his own recognizance not to leave.

Kuchma is suspected of abusing his office with giving illegal directives to Interior Ministry officials, which led to the murder of Gongadze.
Tags:


215 159

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.

comments powered by Disqus

Read more in {{sectionName}} section

All in {{sectionName}} section

SUBSCRIBE TO KYIV POST NEWSLETTERS