Russia has not been officially notified so far of Oleksandr Muzychko's murder
Moscow- Nationalist Oleksandr Muzychko, also known as Sashko Biliy, remains on the international most wanted list on charges of banditry and the establishment of an organized criminal group since Russian law enforcement agencies have not been officially notified of the man's murder in Ukraine, a Russian security service source told Interfax.
"Muzychko remains on the international most wanted list because so far the Russian side has not received any official notification from its Ukrainian colleagues concerning his murder," the source said.
Furthermore, even if he was really killed, Russian laws require that the criminal charges filed against Muzychko be referred to court unless his relatives ask the Russian authorities to close the case.
Ukraine's media reported earlier that Right Sector ultra-nationalistic group coordinator Muzychko had been killed in the city of Rivne early on March 25 morning.
On March 7, the Russian Investigative Committee opened a criminal inquiry against Muzychko, who was suspected of involvement in acts of banditry targeting Russian federal forces in Chechnya in the 1990s.
Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Interfax that Muzychko was accused of "killing at least 20 soldiers of federal forces held in captivity."
"A resolution assigning a defendant's status to Muzychko and putting him on the international most wanted list was issued on March 7, 2014," he said.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.comments powered by Disqus