Crimean Tatar leader: Symonenko should be punished for call to change nation's symbols

Print version
Aug. 13, 2012, 3:24 p.m. | Politics — by Interfax-Ukraine


 Ukrainian Communist Party leader Petro Symonenko should be called to account for his initiative to change Ukraine's state symbols, the head of the Mejlis (parliament) of the Crimean Tatar people, MP Mustafa Dzhemilev, has said.

"Symonenko is now oriented at the chauvinist-minded part of the electorate. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people with such views in Ukraine. These are partly pre-election statements. The Communist Party leader has Soviet thinking. A statement made by Petro Symonenko is the desecration of state symbols. According to Ukrainian legislation, it's a crime. However, Ukrainian law enforcement agencies are not responding [to this statement]. They are working only on the orders of Ukraine's top leaders," the ZN.UA publication quoted Dzhemilev as saying.

He said that none of the politicians in Europe can afford such statements, even the Communists.

"This is not the first such statement made by the CPU leader. Earlier Symonenko spoke about the Crimean Tatars in a fascist manner. He said that they were fairly deported from Crimea in 1944, because, say, they are betrayers. Thus, he violated a respective article of the Criminal Code. On May 18, we asked the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe to deny Symonenko entry into Europe. He is supporting Stalinist ideas. But there is no answer so far. This is a long process – the adoption of a resolution," the MP said.

As reported, at a press conference in Kharkiv on August 9 Symonenko proposed discussing at a national referendum the question of the country's main state symbols - the emblem and anthem. In his opinion, the state cannot exist under the symbol, "under which Hitler was met during the war and under which innocent people were killed."

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.
AL BALA Aug. 13, 2012, 3:32 p.m.    

claimed that Christ the Savior Cathedral had become a tax haven for a variety of for-profit businesses.

In previous court filings, the watchdog group noted that only 7% of the Cathedral space was used for religious purposes, the other 93% being used for a dizzying array of businesses, including a scientific research center, an employment agency, an auto body shop, political consulting agency, and a seafood market.


{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Aug. 13, 2012, 5:31 p.m.    

links, though the Constitution clearly defines Russia as a secular state. In a recent example cited by Simon Shuster in Time magazine on Aug. 2, Patriarch Kirill told Putin during a meeting at Moscow's St. Daniel Monastery in February that Putin's decade-long rule was a "godly miracle." Putin returned the favor by saying, "We must move away from the primitive notion of separation of church and state."

Read more:

The Moscow Times

{# <-- parent id goes here
carl Aug. 14, 2012, 3:06 a.m.    

AL BALA this article has nothing to do with the pussy riot trial.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Aug. 15, 2012, 1:45 a.m.    

Fellow villagers do not believe in suicide grandchildren Dzhemilev

Her body hung too high, she did not climb there alone " - she said.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Roman Dawydiak Aug. 14, 2012, 4:58 a.m.    

The only symbols that the Communist Party of Ukraine would approve of would be the hammer and sickle. These were done away with when over 90% of the Ukrainian electorate voted in a national referendum held in December of 1991 for the unilateral independence of Ukraine. The "new" symbols and national anthem were an expression of that independence. As for the murder, torture and exile (often to Siberian gulags) of innocent people, Petro Symonenko suffers from convenient amnesia. Joseph Stalin and his communist cronies were for the most part directly guilty for this abomination. That is the primary legacy of communism in Ukraine. That is also a subject that will never be discussed by perverted reprobates like Petro Symonenko.

{# <-- parent id goes here


© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.