KyivPost

LyNOS deal has strings attached

Print version
May 6, 2000, 10 a.m. |
The government announced on April 26 that it would hold a tender to sell a majority stake in the Lysychansk oil refinery (LyNOS), Ukraine’s second-largest. There’s a catch, however. The buyer will not only have to inject life in the idling refinery but also fulfil a long and expensive list of investment conditions following the purchase. The State Property Fund is offering a 67.41 percent stake in LyNOS at, on the face of it, a giveaway price of Hr 48.5 million. However, under the terms of the deal, the successful buyer is obliged to supply at least 4 million tons of crude to the refinery every year. Shortage of crude to process has been LyNOS’ major problem recently. Last year, the refinery stood idle for a staggering 326 days of the year, and output only 528,000 tons of petroleum, a 70 percent decrease over output in 1998. LyNOS has the capacity to process 16 million tons of crude every year. The low, low starting price for the stake is deceptive too. On acquiring the stake in the refinery, the buyer will also take on a hefty package of its debts - LyNOS owes 70 million euros to German bank to Westdeutsche Landesbank On top of that, the new management at LyNOS will have to pump Hr 13 million into the refinery’s working capital and carry out modernization work to the tune of Hr 60 million. And that’s not all. The buyer will also have to pay Hr 13 million in overdue wages to the employees, channel Hr 10.7 million to the budget in overdue contributions and, just for good measure, transfer Hr 400,000 to the Pension Fund. Altogether, the buyer of the stake must agree to invest almost Hr 490 million in the refinery. Despite that, Russia’s Tyumen Oil company has already said it will bid in the tender and it is regarded as a likely winner of the contest. The competition is supposed to take place within 60 days of being announced by the SPF. Meanwhile, the SPF is pushing to lift the ban on sales of Ukraine’s distilleries and railway companies, the fund’s senior official said. Earlier this month, parliament rejected a draft law asking the legislature to reduce a list of state-owned companies barred from privatization. The lawmakers, however, said they would reconsider the draft law in May.
The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.