KyivPost

Investigator allows medical examination of Lutsenko in hospital

Print version
May 10, 2011, 7:21 p.m. | Politics — by Interfax-Ukraine
The investigator for particularly important cases of the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office, following an appeal by the administration of Kyiv's pretrial detention center, has allowed a medical examination of Interior Minister Yuriy Lutsenko in hospital, the Prosecutor General's Office's media liaisons office has reported. Earlier, Lutsenko's wife, Iryna Lutsenko, said that the former minister, who was being held in the detention centre, would continue a hunger strike until the settlement of the issue on preventive punishment against him.

Iryna Lutsenko said that husband's hunger strike had already lasted for 19 days. According to her, the state of her husband was very difficult; he had lost 14 kilograms in weight over the time of his hunger strike.

Kyiv Court of Appeals on April 21 extended Lutsenko's arrest until May 26, and after that he announced his intention to go on a hunger strike from April 22.

Lutsenko has been held in Lukyanivka jail since December 26, 2010. He has been charged under Part 5, Article 191 (large-scale embezzlement of state property through the abuse of office, under a preliminary collusion by a group of individuals), Part 3, Article 365 (abuse of office, which led to grave consequences), and Part 3, Article 364 (the abuse of power and office by a law enforcer, which caused damage to citizens' rights as protected by the law) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine.

On Jan. 28, the pre-trail investigation into the criminal case against Lutsenko and three more former officials of the ministry evaluated the losses caused by them to the state at over Hr 970,000.

Lutsenko earlier appealed to the European Court of Human Rights against his arrest. The court received the complaint and started its preliminary consideration.


Читайте об этом на www.kyivpost.ua
comments powered by Disqus

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.