KyivPost

Lytvyn: Melnychenko trying to mislead Gongadze murder investigators

Print version
Nov. 14, 2011, 5:03 p.m. | Politics — by Interfax-Ukraine
Claims by former State Security Guard Major Mykola Melnychenko that his life and the lives of a number of Ukrainian officials are in danger aim to divert investigators from finding the actual masterminds behind the murder of reporter Georgy Gongadze, Verkhovna Rada Speaker Volodymyr Lytvyn said. "I do not comment on stupidities. And if he is alarmed by something and is seeking additional argument for himself, that is his personal matter," Lytvyn told a press conference on Monday.

He was responding to journalists over Melnychenko's claims of the alleged involvement of Lytvyn and Ukraine's second president, Leonid Kuchma, in organizing persecution of Melnychenko and death threats against former Security Council Secretary Yevhen Marchuk and Socialist leader Oleksandr Moroz.

"Sooner or later the inquiry must, and obviously will, find those who organized the eavesdropping on the country's first office and then edited those tapes or got them edited, and are directly involved in the Georgy Gongadze case," he said.

"And I think that someone started feeling hot because the truth is being approached precisely in this direction. And today they once again want to steer this case in the direction, in which they have been steering it for ten or almost eleven years," Lytvyn said.

On July 29, 2011, the Kyiv Court of Appeals upheld a Pechersky District Court of Kyiv ruling of June 23, 2011, that canceled a resolution by former Prosecutor General Sviatoslav Piskun dated March 1, 2005, which closed a criminal case against Melnychenko.

The criminal case was opened against Melnychenko for allegedly leaking state secrets, abuse of office and the use of forged documents.

On Oct. 14, the Prosecutor General's Office said that Melnychenko twice attempted to leave Ukrainian territory and that on Sept. 23, an SBU investigator issued a resolution to put him on the wanted list.

The office recalled that as part of the investigation into a criminal case opened against Melnychenko, in order to prevent possible attempts to evade investigation, a decision had been made to impose a ban on his foreign travel pending the completion of a pretrial investigation.

According to earlier reports, Melnychenko stayed in the United States. Later he left for Israel.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.
Anonymous Nov. 14, 2011, 5:29 p.m.    

Lytvyn is the stupidity.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Nov. 14, 2011, 6:30 p.m.    

Mr Bonner is the idiot for continually printing PAID POR PROPOGANDA PRINTED BY &quot;INTERFAX UKRAINE&quot;

All IntUkr stories are paid press releases, supporting Yanuks position....LIES !!!

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Nov. 14, 2011, 5:51 p.m.    

Lytvyn is one of the guilty ones.

Should be arrested immediately.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Nov. 14, 2011, 10:16 p.m.    

Lytvyn trying to mislead Gongadze murder investigators!!!

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Nov. 14, 2011, 11:27 p.m.    

Lytvyn is guilty of conspiring to the murder of Georgy Gongadze. The tapes were never edited and can be proven in an international court. He is trying to divert the facts upon unknown people but it just does not work. The tapes have been investigated by outside law enforcement agencies and they determined the tapes are not edited. The U.S. highest law enforcement agency has also conducted a full technical evaluation of the tapes and were found to be authentic. Lytvyn can lied, run, but cannot hide from the truth.

{# <-- parent id goes here

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.