KyivPost

Maidan participants want single candidate from opposition in 2015 elections

Print version
Jan. 7, 2014, 4:57 p.m. |

Leader of the UDAR Party Vitaliy Klitschko has said that the only way for the opposition to win the 2015 presidential election will be to nominate a single candidate.
© facebook.com/Vitaliy.Klychko

Leader of the UDAR Party Vitaliy Klitschko has said that the only way for the opposition to win the 2015 presidential election will be to nominate a single candidate. 

"Last night, I went to the tents (of pro-European protesters on Independence Square in Kyiv), greeted people, talked to them. Everybody says they are not going to give up. And everyone is talking about a complete change of government and asking whether the opposition is able to put forward a single candidate," the UDAR party's press service quoted him as saying on Tuesday.

"The democratic forces must nominate and support a single candidate in the presidential election. I said this a long time and I have not changed my opinion. How can we speak of a single team, when there will be several candidates? Don't the authorities currently need to scatter the votes to arrange a brutal surprise and in the runoff?" Klitschko said.

As reported, on January 5, Head of the Batkivschyna opposition faction Arseniy Yatseniuk said that the leaders of all three opposition political forces would run in the first round of Ukraine's next presidential election. Such a decision was made in May 2013, he said.

"As far as our single candidate is concerned, we have already held several rounds of negotiations and have officially announced their results because on May 18 last year our three political forces signed an agreement in which they pledged to rally around a single candidate in the second round. This agreement was signed and it must be implemented. The agreement says very clearly that the first round will serve as primaries for all the candidates, and a candidate who scores the best result [in the first round] will receive the support of all the opposition forces during the second round," Yatseniuk said.

"Nothing has changed officially at this stage," he added. 

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.