KyivPost

Melnychenko asks court not to extradite him to Ukraine

Print version
Aug. 6, 2012, 6:20 p.m. | Politics — by Interfax-Ukraine

A court in Naples on Monday took no decision regarding the extradition of former State Department Guard Major Mykola Melnychenko to Ukraine, his lawyer, Mykola Nedilko, has said.
©

A court in Naples on Monday took no decision regarding the extradition of former State Department Guard Major Mykola Melnychenko to Ukraine, his lawyer, Mykola Nedilko, has said.

"A court in Naples took no final decision regarding the extradition of Melnychenko to Ukraine, because during a court hearing Melnychenko made a statement that he opposes extradition," he told reporters on Monday.

He said that now the Italian Justice Ministry should consider this application within ten days and make a decision. If it is decided to extradite Melnychenko to Ukraine, the hearing on this issue will continue.

"If Melnychenko's request is granted, then he must be released," the lawyer said.

As reported, reports said on August 3 that Melnychenko had been arrested at Naples Airport on a warrant issued by the Ukrainian bureau of Interpol. 

comments powered by Disqus

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.