KyivPost

Ukrainian businessman Firtash denies plans to go into politics

Print version
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:06 a.m. | Politics — by Interfax-Ukraine
Simferopol - Ukrainian businessman Dmytro Firtash has said that he is not going to get involved in politics, which is why he has no desire to join the Party of Regions and stand for Verkhovna Rada. "I can say unequivocally that I am definitely not going to do politics, and there is no need even to talk about it. I will not be running for deputy, this is not my business. (. . .) Nor shall I pour myself into any parties of regions because I do not do politics," he told journalists in Simferopol on Sunday after meeting with acting head of the Crimean government Pavlo Burlakov.

Business and politics are "two different things," he said.

It is not that I like or dislike any particular party, I simply do not want to do politics, the businessman added.

Firtash owns large chemical plants in Ukraine, Estonia and Tajikistan. The businessman invests in the financial sector and real estate.

His main assets are concentrated in the chemical sector. In Ukraine, in particular, he owns Azot (Cherkasy), Severodonetsk Azot Association, Concern Stirol (in Horlivka, Donetsk region) and Rivneazot.

Firtash's other business interests include Crimea Titan (Armiansk, Crimea, 50% less one share), its subsidiaries Irshansk Mining and Processing Plant (Zhytomyr region) and Vilnohorskiy Mining and Metallurgical Plant (Dnipropetrovsk region); Crimean Soda Plant (KSZ, Krasnoperekopsk, Crimea), and Nadra Bank (Kyiv).

Outside Ukraine, the businessman owns two plants: Nitrofert in Estonia and TajikAzot in Tajikistan.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.
Anonymous Oct. 31, 2011, 3:20 p.m.

Firtash doesn't have to enter politics- his great friend Proffessor Viktor will arrange everything he wants.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Oct. 31, 2011, 3:41 p.m.

Firtash for president 2015.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Oct. 31, 2011, 4:03 p.m.

Firtash is making too much money as a criminal to be president.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Oct. 31, 2011, 7:43 p.m.

Your comments, above, clearly show that you are an uncaring, ruthless and merciless business crook; with absolutely no feeling and empathy towards the people who work for you, and 'your' country that has given you so much to steal, and that you have stolen.

If you do not want into politics....fine,,,,,,but you should pressure the gov't to follow the rule of law,,,if you cared,,,but you do not.

You have proven to be a slime ball of unprecedented porportions.

You are the worst of the worst.

You have taken, and take, from the people.....for your own pleasure,,,,,just as Stalin did.....

You are a parasite.....and an enemy of Ukraine and its good people....

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Oct. 31, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

The true reason Firtash does not want to go into politics is because he is already running the country of Ukraine. He has position his puppet (Yanukovych) in as President of Ukraine and virtually tells the Clown what to do. In such a position, he also has leverage over the Party of Rats. Yanuk and his cronies desire for luxury and wealth is the motivating interest that Ukraine is in the position it is today. They say that they are not beggars but that is exactly what they are and nothing will change that fact. These people cannot seem to get enough just like the Ukrainian oligarchs. They are not satisfied with have they have already stolen from country but still want to suck all its blood out. Russia refer to Yanuk as a &quot;Sponge&quot; but in reality they should have call him &quot;leech&quot;.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Anonymous Oct. 31, 2011, 11:15 p.m.

&quot;I can say unequivocally that I am definitely not going to do politics, and there is no need even to talk about it. I will not be running for deputy, this is not my business.&quot;

TRANSLATION:

- I am the &quot;saviour of Ukraine&quot; - I already said so on Inter TV. I own all the politicians in Ukraine, so there is no need for me to go into politics.

--------------------------------------------------

&quot;Business and politics are &quot;two different things,&quot; he said.&quot;

TRANSLATION:

-- In Ukraine, business and politics are the same thing. I already own all the politicians in Ukraine, and I own The Pineapple - he has one of my business brochures in Mezhihirya, and Ukrainian Pravda ran pictures of it.

The Pineapple can't read, that's why my business brochure has lots of pictures, but The Pineapple does what I want him to do.

{# <-- parent id goes here

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.