KyivPost

US ambassador confirms Kuzmin's US visa cancelled, but he can apply for a new one

Print version
Dec. 11, 2012, 8 a.m. | Politics — by Interfax-Ukraine

U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine John Tefft has confirmed that Ukrainian First Deputy Prosecutor General Renat Kuzmin's U.S. visa has been canceled.
© Kostyantyn Chernichkin

U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine John Tefft has confirmed that Ukrainian First Deputy Prosecutor General Renat Kuzmin's U.S. visa has been canceled. 

"I can confirm that his visa has been canceled, but there were no plans to arrest him," he told reporters in Kyiv on Monday.

Tefft said that the visa had been cancelled in line with U.S. legislation.

"Mr. Kuzmin knows the reason why he was denied a visa, but I cannot disclose this reason to you," he said.

When asked whether such steps by the U.S. side are related to the last resolution of the U.S. Congress, he said: "This cancelation of the visa does not concern the Congress decisions. These things are not related."

In addition, the U.S. diplomat said that Kuzmin could apply for a new U.S. visa, but he, like anyone else, should come in for an interview and explain the purpose of his trip to the United States.

As reported, Kuzmin, in a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama, said that on October 19, 2012, Tefft informed him about the cancelation of his five-year U.S. visa, without explaining the reasons for such a decision.

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.