ASTANA, Kazakhstan (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Tuesday kicked off a four-nation diplomatic tour dogged by the disclosures of secret U.S. diplomatic cables by WikiLeaks, an act she called an assault on the international community.
On her first visit to this Central Asian nation as America's top diplomat, Clinton was speaking with leaders of Kazakh women's groups and holding a public "town hall" meeting with students and faculty at Eurasian University in the Kazakh capital.
On Wednesday she is scheduled to attend a summit meeting of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the first top-level meeting of the 56-nation group in 11 years. Also expected to be attending are many heads of government and top foreign affairs officials from across Europe, including some mentioned in the leaked diplomatic documents.
Clinton's trip was announced shortly after The New York Times and other newspapers began publishing stories Sunday based on the unauthorized release of hundreds of thousands of diplomatic cables by WikiLeaks, the online anti-secrecy group. Her trip had been planned much earlier.
Before departing Washington on Monday for an overnight flight to Kazakhstan, Clinton told reporters at the U.S. State Department that the leaks of documents should be of concern not only to Americans but also to people across the world.
"Let's be clear: This disclosure is not just an attack on America's foreign policy interests," she said. "It is an attack on the international community — the alliances and partnerships, the conversations and negotiations that safeguard global security and advance economic prosperity."
Clinton also will visit the former Soviet republics of Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan for the first time in her nearly two years as secretary of state. She will then travel to Bahrain for a Middle East security summit.
The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/.
The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow.
Thank you from the Kyiv Post.
Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the
www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials
contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior
written permission of Public Media at firstname.lastname@example.org
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal
use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of