KyivPost

Russia: NATO 'one step' from land war in Libya

Print version
June 5, 2011, 9:13 p.m. | Russia and former Soviet Union — by Associated Press

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov, delivers a speech during the final day of the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) Asia Securities Summit, the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, Sunday, June 5, 2011.
© AP

SINGAPORE (AP) — NATO is "one step" from sending troops into Libya to help rebels remove Moammar Gadhafi from power,RussianDeputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said Sunday. British and French attack helicopters struck for the first time inside Libya on Saturday, having previously relied on attack jets generally flying above 15,000 feet (4,500 meters).

"Using attack helicopters, in my view, is the last but one step before the land operation," Ivanov said in Singapore at the IISS Shangri-La Dialogue, a regional security conference.

Russiaabstained from a United Nations Security Council resolution vote in March to impose a no-fly zone over Libya. Ivanov said there has been disagreement over how to interpret the scope of the resolution.

"We thought it was a good resolution to stop civilian casualties and close down Libyan air space," Ivanov said. "But we haven't agreed on what closing down air space means. Later, it apparently meant first bombing and now using attack helicopters. We think it clearly takes one side of the conflict."

NATO airstrikes have kept the outgunned rebels from being overrun, but the rebels have been unable to mount an effective offensive against Gadhafi's better-equipped forces.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.
comments powered by Disqus

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.