KyivPost

Seven policemen killed in Russian Caucasus bomb attack

Print version
Aug. 19, 2012, 12:22 p.m. | Russia and former Soviet Union — by Reuters

Chechen Police officers and investigators are seen after a bomb blast, with human body parts in the road in Grozny, Chechnya, southern Russia, on Monday, Aug. 6, 2012. At least three Russian servicemen were killed and another three wounded when a suicide bomber detonated outside a Chechen department store on Monday, officials said.
© AP

Reuters

MOSCOW - A suicide bomb attack killed seven police officers attending the funeral of a colleague in Ingushetia in Russia's volatile North Caucasus region, hours after masked gunmen opened fire in a mosque in Dagestan, wounding eight people. 

More than a decade after federal forces toppled a separatist government in a war in Chechnya, Russia is still struggling to contain an Islamic insurgency that has spread to other southern provinces across its mainly Muslim Caucasus mountains region.

Militants fighting to carve an Islamic state from the North Caucasus attack officials and law enforcement personnel almost daily but have also increasingly targeted mainstream Muslim leaders backed by the authorities.

The seven policemen were killed and 10 others wounded when a suicide bomber attacked a wake being held on Sunday for a fellow officer shot a day earlier in the Malgobek district in the north of the Russian province of Ingushetia, news agencies reported.

"A suicide bomber went into the courtyard of a private home, where police officers had come to offer condolences to their late colleague and activated a bomb device attached to a belt," a spokesman for the local investigators, Zurab Geroyev, told the Interfax news agency.

The bombing came hours after masked assailants opened fire in a mosque in the nearby Dagestan region, wounding eight Muslims who were celebrating the end of the holy month of Ramadan. A man who was injured in the attack said some 50 people were gathered in the mosque at the time of the attack.

"We were sitting, just finished our prayer and wanted to break our fast," said Rukhit Samedov, wearing a blood stained T-shirt and cradling a bandaged hand.

"People just sat down, started eating, and the door opened and there was shooting from automatic guns," he told Reuters.

"They wore masks and some sort of camouflage."

Law enforcement officers said they were working to deactivate bombs left by the attackers at the mosque in the city of Khasavyurt.

"Eight people have been admitted to the hospital. Five of them are in the trauma unit, three are in intensive care. Two of those are in a very grave condition," Ramazan Ismailov, the chief surgeon at the Khasavyurt hospital, told Reuters. 

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.
comments powered by Disqus

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.