KyivPost

UNESCO concerned about Moscow Kremlin's future

Print version
Aug. 10, 2012, 11:27 a.m. | Russia and former Soviet Union — by Interfax-Ukraine

UNESCO's World Heritage Committee may remove the Moscow Kremlin from the list of world heritage properties in 2013, Irina Zaika, the academic secretary of the Russian Architects Union's Heritage Council, told the daily Izvestia.
© russia.obnovlenie.ru

Moscow - UNESCO's World Heritage Committee may remove the Moscow Kremlin from the list of world heritage properties in 2013, Irina Zaika, the academic secretary of the Russian Architects Union's Heritage Council, told the daily Izvestia. 

"UNESCO said in a letter to the Russian Architects Union that it is deeply alarmed and demanded a report on how this property is being maintained," Izvestia writes, citing the letter.

"Russian historical and cultural monuments were not discussed at the summer session in St. Petersburg, but they will definitely be on the agenda in 2013," Zaika said.

UNESCO wants to be informed by February 1 2013 in what condition this cultural monument is, and how the maintenance instructions and plans are being fulfilled. All of these issues will be discussed and a decision on them will be made, according to Izvestia.

Natalya Samover, coordinator of the Arkhnadzor architectural oversight public organization, said three construction projects are underway in the Kremlin - reconstruction of Building 14, and construction of a technical facility in Tainitsky Garden and of two pavilions on both sides of Kutafya Tower. "The construction is going on near the cultural heritage properties, in violation of all internal laws and the convention of the conservation of the world heritage. Moreover, none of the projects was negotiated with UNESCO," Samover told Izvestia.

Spokesman for the Kremlin Property Department Viktor Khrekov has confirmed that all of the cited construction projects are well underway, noting that they had been put through all approval procedures with Russian oversight agencies. "If UNESCO wants to be provided with reports, it should turn to the Culture Ministry, for instance," Khrekov said. 

The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.