KyivPost

Football: Roberto Carlos retires to become Anzhi's director

Print version
Aug. 2, 2012, 12:13 p.m. | Sports — by Reuters

Real Madrid players applaud as former Real Madrid´s Brazilian player Roberto Carlos walks on the field before the Spanish League football match Real Madrid vs Levante at the Santiago Barnabeu stadium in Madrid on February 12, 2012.
© AFP

Reuters

MOSCOW - Former Brazil and Real Madrid fullback Roberto Carlos, famous for his booming free kick, has officially ended his playing career, the Anzhi Makhachkala player said on Wednesday, Aug. 1.

The 2002 World Cup winner, who joined the wealthy Russian Premier League club in February 2011, has not played since being taken off the team's squad in March.

"Roberto had been a world class player, but unfortunately he doesn't play any more," said former Russia boss Guus Hiddink, who was appointed Anzhi coach in February.

"Fortunately, Roberto will now take up a role to develop this club for the good of the game in the Dagestan region and the whole of Russia."

The 39-year-old said he was planning a farewell game against his former club Real.

"We had met Real president Florentino Perez and discussed such a match between Real and Anzhi," he told a news conference.

"We need to set up a date that suits both clubs. I would like to have my farewell to be played in Makhachkala."

Anzhi's billionaire owner Suleiman Kerimov said last year he wanted to make the Brazilian the club's world-wide ambassador.

Roberto Carlos, a twice Copa America winner, won 125 caps for Brazil and played at the 1998, 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

He quit the national side following the latter competition after being villanised in Brazil where he was blamed for allowing Thierry Henry to score the only goal in their quarter-final defeat to France.

Raised at provincial club Uniao Sao Joao, he made his name in Brazil during three seasons with Palmeiras, moved to Inter Milan for one season and then Real Madrid, where he spent 11 seasons.

After that, he still had time for a stint in Turkey with Fenerbahce before moving home to play for Corinthians.

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.