KyivPost

Hatton to fight Senchenko on return to ring

Print version
Sept. 28, 2012, 6:48 p.m. | Sports — by Reuters

Former welterweight and light-welterweight world champion Ricky Hatton will fight Ukraine's Vyacheslav Senchenko (on the photo) on his return to the ring in Manchester on November 24.
© theboxingtribune.com

Reuters

LONDON - Former welterweight and light-welterweight world champion Ricky Hatton will fight Ukraine's Vyacheslav Senchenko on his return to the ring in Manchester on November 24. 

Briton Hatton, who quit after a devastating two-round knockout by Manny Pacquiao in May 2009, announced his comeback from retirement earlier this month.

Senchenko, 35, represents a stern test for Hatton. He has lost just one of 33 fights, winning 21 by knockout, and is a former WBA world welterweight champion.

"I can't wait to get in the ring now and I'm sure that Vyacheslav Senchenko will give me a good fight. It's one that I am confident I can win though," Hatton told a news conference.

"Senchenko lost the last time he fought to Paulie Malignaggi but he has got a good pedigree. I'm in great shape, I'm feeling good and I know I can put on a performance for all those watching."

Hatton was one of the Britain's most popular fighters but has struggled in recent years.

His love of drinking beer was well documented while he was also photographed apparently snorting cocaine after which he checked himself in to a rehabilitation centre in 2010.

"It's well documented what's happened to me, my life turned to mush," Hatton, whose only other defeat came at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr, said earlier this month.

"I'm back to fight for world titles." 

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.
comments powered by Disqus

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.