KyivPost

Russia retain Denisov and Kerzhakov for World Cup qualifiers

Print version
Sept. 27, 2012, 4:37 p.m. | Sports — by Reuters

Russia coach Fabio Capello has called up out-of-favour Zenit St Petersburg duoIgor Denisov and Alexander Kerzhakov in his 36-man squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers againstPortugal and Azerbaijan.
© AP

Reuters

MOSCOW - Russia coach Fabio Capello has called up out-of-favour Zenit St Petersburg duoIgor Denisov and Alexander Kerzhakov in his 36-man squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers againstPortugal and Azerbaijan. 

Midfielder Denisov, who this month was made Russia captain by Capello, has been demoted to Zenit's reserve team after he refused to play for the club and issued an ultimatum to renegotiate his contract.

Kerzhakov was also demoted for "improper behaviour", Zenit said.

Former national team skipper Andrei Arshavin was left out by Capello because the Arsenal forward has seen little action for his London club this season.

Italian Capello, who replaced Dick Advocaat last month following Russia's poor showing at Euro 2012, also dropped experienced strikers Roman Pavlyuchenko and Pavel Pogrebnyak, preferring to call up 22-year-old newcomer Maxim Grigoryev and Artem Dzyuba.

Dzyuba, 24, has only one international cap after starting for Russia in a friendly against Greece last November.

Former Chelsea winger Yuri Zhirkov, who joined wealthy Anzhi Makhachkala last year, was recalled after missingRussia's first two qualifiers against Northern Ireland and Israel with injury.

The squad will be trimmed to 23 players by Capello next week, the Russian FA said on its website (www.rfs.ru).

The Russians have made a flying start in their World Cup qualifying campaign under Capello, winning both matches.

They face joint Group F rivals Portugal in Moscow on Oct. 12 before hosting fifth-placed Azerbaijan four days later.  

The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.