Ukrainian Defense Minister Mykhailo Yezhel has said he expects a combined brigade made up of Ukrainian, Polish and Lithuanian servicemen to be formed in autumn.
Yezhel said at a meeting with his counterparts from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary in Levoca (Slovakia) on Thursday that the Ukrainian and Polish presidents had previously discussed this idea and ordered such a brigade to appear this year.
"Such a task was set to us and we discussed this issue today in order to jointly formulate tasks for our General Staff chiefs, who will have until July or August to prepare their suggestions regarding this brigade's weaponry structure. After it, I think, we will report to our commanders-in-chief before October-November about the creation of such a brigade," the Ukrainian minister said.
Ukraine and the member countries of the Visegrad Group (the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary) also plan to discuss a number of mutually beneficial projects in military and military-technological issues, he said.
"We can implement various projects together. We have agreed to outline all of the projects that could be interesting for the Visegrad Group," Yezhel said.
Implementing joint projects will greatly benefit all of the countries, he said.
"For example, today we and the Polish side discuss plans to deliver engines for Tarantul missile boats. The Polish side raised this issue additionally," the minister said.
During Yezhel's visit to Slovakia, the Ukrainian and Czech Defense Ministries signed an agreement on military geography cooperation, and the Ukrainian and Slovak Defense Ministries signed an agreement on mutual cooperation.
Asked how Ukraine's cooperation with the Visegrad Group has changed after Kyiv announced its decision to stay out of military blocs, Yezhel said that "Ukraine has not isolated itself, and we continue cooperating in all of the spheres, including military and military-technological."
The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/.
The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow.
Thank you from the Kyiv Post.
Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the
www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials
contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior
written permission of Public Media at firstname.lastname@example.org
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal
use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of