The European Commission has denied reports that it has frozen the allocation of technical assistance to Ukraine and intends to demand the retraction of such reports, European Commission spokesman Peter Stano has told Interfax-Ukraine.
"Our delegation in Kyiv will demand that Kommersant (the Kommersant-Ukraine newspaper) publish truthful information. This article contains the information that is incorrect in many respects. We also intend to publish a transcript of an interview of the head of our delegation. With regard to the EU funds, it is not true that these funds were misappropriated, as it was alleged in the article," Stano said in Brussels on Wednesday.
Stano said that the European Commission had not postponed, frozen or stopped the provision of technical assistance to Ukraine.
"Some individual assistance is currently being reviewed in connection with the need for Ukraine to fulfill certain conditions, in particular, issues related to financial management and macroeconomic stability. But the main assistance is continuing. We, as the European Commission, are planning to resume the allocation of assistance as soon as possible. What was written in Kommersant isn't true," he said.
Earlier, Kommersant-Ukraine wrote that a senior European Commission official allegedly stated that the implementation of all budget sector support programs, in which grant funding was allocated to Kyiv, had been suspended.
The main reason for this, the newspaper alleged, was the ineffective distribution of the funds provided by the European Commission.
Читайте об этом на www.kyivpost.ua
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.