KyivPost

Interior Ministry: Suspected murderer of journalist Klymentyev put on international wanted list

Print version
Aug. 3, 2012, 8:46 a.m. | Ukraine — by Interfax-Ukraine

A suspect in murder of the editor-in-chief of the Kharkiv-based New Style newspaper Vasyl Klymentyev - a former employee of a special unit of Kharkiv police has been put on the international wanted list, the Interior Ministry of Ukraine said.
© www.segodnya.ua

A suspect in murder of the editor-in-chief of the Kharkiv-based New Style newspaper Vasyl Klymentyev - a former employee of a special unit of Kharkiv police has been put on the international wanted list, the Interior Ministry of Ukraine said.

"The suspect is on the international wanted list. He is a former employee of one of the special units of Kharkiv police," Interfax-Ukraine learned at the Interior Ministry.

Previously, the head of the main investigation department at the Interior Ministry, Vasyl Farynnyk told Kharkiv-based Status Quo News Agency that the principal suspect in the journalist's murder was Andriy Kozar, a former employee of the law enforcement agencies. However, it was unlikely that he committed the murder on his own.

Farynnyk also reported that Kozar was suspected of having committed two more crimes.

As reported, on August 11, 2010 Klymentyev left home along with an unknown man in a silver BMW car to an unknown destination. On August 15, the investigation office of the Dzerzhynsky district police department in Kharkiv opened a criminal case under Article 115 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (deliberate murder). The police put two suspects in the case of the disappearance of Klymentyev on the wanted list. Dmytro Uvarov and Andriy Kozar, former employee of the law enforcement agencies, are suspected of being involved in the disappearance of Klymentyev.

On July 13, 2011 the prosecutor of Kharkiv region Henadiy Tiurin said that one line of investigation remains in this case. They believe that Klymentyev's disappearance is connected with his professional activities.

On June 21, 2012, the Foreign Ministry said that main investigative department identified the person suspected of committing Klymentyev's murder.

The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.