KyivPost

Ivaschenko says judges committed fraud

Print version
Aug. 14, 2012, 8:16 p.m. | Ukraine — by Interfax-Ukraine


© ru.tsn.ua

Ukraine's acting defense minister Valeriy Ivaschenko has said the five-year sentence handed down to him had been falsified.

"Pechersky Court in Kyiv had simply falsified the sentence and it copied pages two to ten from the indictment word-for-word with the same spelling mistakes," Ivaschenko told a court of appeals in Kyiv, according to an Interfax-Ukraine correspondent.

Both the verdict and the indictment say, according to Ivaschenko, that he was acting defense minister until May 26 2010, while in fact he held this post until March 10 2010, when a new minister was appointed.

The verdict, like the indictment misspelled some names and also copied the evidence provided by several witnesses word for word, even though they were actually opposite.

"It is a fraud, committed by judges Serhiy Vovk, Oksana Tsarevych and Volodymyr Karavan, punishable under Article 366 of the Criminal Code, all of which suggests that the sentence was unlawful," he said.

Ivaschenko also said that his case was "ordered" and it had no political content, and is the dismissed Defense Ministry officials' revenge.

Pechersky District Court in Kyiv sentenced Ivaschenko on April 12, 2012, to five years in prison and to a three-year disqualification as a civil servant. In line with Article 82 of the Criminal Code, his preliminary detention from August 21, 2010, was taken into account. Ivaschenko and his defense lawyers disagree with the sentence.

In November 2009, Ivaschenko, then acting defense minister, signed a financial recovery plan, proposed by the outside manager of the Feodosia Shipyard, which envisioned the sale of state properties, including three piers, a bomb shelter and a building that was used to store mobilization reserves.

The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.