Position: Chairman of the National Bank of Ukraine
Incumbent: Serhiy Arbuzov
Date of Birth: March 24, 1976
Term: Appointed in December 2010. Tenure determined by the president.
- Arbuzov comes from Donetsk, the home region and power base of President Viktor Yanukovich.
- Arbuzov's mother Valentina Arbuzova, an experienced banker, is the chief executive of a private bank owned by Yanukovich's son, Oleksandr Yanukovich.
- Under Arbuzov, the central bank has continued the policy of maintaining hryvnia exchange rate stability, burning some of its reserves to support the currency when it came under pressure.
- Arbuzov rarely speaks to the media but regularly posts videos discussing latest economic indicators and central bank policies on the bank's website
- As Yanukovich sought to boost the slowing economy by a $3 billion spending package this year ahead of parliamentary elections, Arbuzov's central bank also softened its monetary policy, cutting the key rate for the first time since mid-2010.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.
Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the
www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials
contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior
written permission of Public Media at firstname.lastname@example.org
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal
use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of