May 21, 2010, 5:53 p.m. |
Ukraine — by
Kateryna Samoilyk, Communist Party faction: 'The investigation commission has not found enough evidence of the guilt of the former chief editor of Artek Magazine, Dmytro Poliukhovych, who is suspected of the sexual abuse of his foster children, or other people, to send the case to court'
The Verkhovna Rada has disbanded a commission investigating allegations of child molestation at Artek International Children's Camp.
The parliamentarians heard a report by the head of the commission, MP Kateryna Samoilyk of the Communist Party faction.
The investigation commission has not found enough evidence of the guilt of the former chief editor of Artek Magazine, Dmytro Poliukhovych, who is suspected of the sexual abuse of his foster children, or other people, to send the case to court, Samoilyk said.
As reported, Regions Party MP Vadym Kolesnichenko said on October 13 that children had been raped at the Artek international children's center, and asked law enforcement agencies to prevent the closure of this criminal case.
The criminal case on child sex abuses at Artek is being investigated by the main investigative department of the Ukrainian Interior Ministry.
Interior Minister Yuriy Lutsenko said on October 14 that police had accused Dmytro Poliukhovych, the stepfather of two raped children, of child sex abuse, while a further three leaders of the Artek center were witnesses in the case, and they would most likely also be accused of committing this crime. He also said that reports are available to the ministry that a number of Ukrainian MPs are involved in this case.
On October 15-16, a number of Ukrainian newspapers (Ukraina Moloda, Segodnia, etc) published reports pointing to the surnames of BYT MPs allegedly involved in child sex abuse – Serhiy Teriokhin, Viktor Ukolov and Ruslan Bohdan. All of them denied their involvement in the case. The management of Artek also rebuffed allegations of sexual molestation of children at the children's center. The police are conducting a number of searches as part of the investigation into the case, particularly at the apartment of the center's director general, Borys Novozhylov.
A number of experts said that the scandal was connected with the presidential election campaign in Ukraine.
The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/.
The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow.
Thank you from the Kyiv Post.
Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the
www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials
contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior
written permission of Public Media at firstname.lastname@example.org
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal
use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of