KyivPost

Russian becomes regional language in Mykolaiv region

Print version
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:42 p.m. | Ukraine — by Interfax-Ukraine

A man looks on after he symbolically places tape over the mouth of Ukrainian writer Ivan Franko's monument during a protest against a language bill in the western city of Lviv on July 6, 2012.
© AFP

Mykolaiv Regional Council has decided to assign Russian the status of a regional language in the region.

Seventy-four deputies of the regional council voted for the decision and eight deputies voted against it, according to the regional online newspaper Novosti-N.

The majority of the deputies that supported the decision were from the Regions Party and the Communist Party of Ukraine, while the opponents of the decision were from the Front for Change Party and the Batkivschyna Party.

As reported, on August 21, 2012 Mykolaiv City Council declared Russian a regional language in the city.

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 7, 2012, 5:35 p.m.

Very interesting. The picture of this article has been already used in several articles of the on-line resource within 3-4 last months. Moreover, the picture itself was prepared not by supporters but by the opponents of the law. When I enter Kyivpost through www.kyivpost. ua I can see various topics: Ukraine, Politics, Business, Kyiv, Russia... When I enter Kyivpost through www.kyivpost.com I can see 4 topics always being on the top: "Parliamentary elections", "Russian vs Ukrainian languages", "Yulia Timoshenko"... Do you believe that people from other countires are interested only in those topics?

{# <-- parent id goes here
stepankom Sept. 11, 2012, 2:51 p.m.

Dear Al

You commented that the photograph heading up this article was posted by opponents of the law- in fact it's an AFP photograph so that comment is simply wrong.

The posts you place on the forum suggest that the language law is about producing a multicultural Ukrainian state- in fact as the General Secretary of Europe notes the law protets only one language, Russian: http://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2012/09/11/6972447/

P of R spokesmen have argued that only Russian will gain "regional" status the other languages are if they have their vway to be ignored- in other words the rhetoric of multiculturalism is being used to conceal a mechanism for expanding the use of Russian and eradicating, indeed, the other languages you purport to value.
Finally I note that you won't answer these points posted under another article- because you can't- even if you support the law per se, if you support the rule of law you have to regard it as having been adopted illegally, and it's simply not possible to argue that Russian was under threat and the law protects it.
... if anyone wants to take issue with me and suggest that it lacked status prior to the law then I challenge them to quote the clauses in the constitution and the relative figures for language prevalence in the media when doing so. Quote them Eugene. Explain how they showed a lack of respect?
You can also explain why it can be considered legally adopted when only 174 deputies who voted for it were present in the hall.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 12, 2012, 6:56 p.m.

Regionals campaigning with promises to make Russian the official language

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 16, 2012, 3:20 a.m.

Language law written by experts in Moscow - linguist

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 7, 2012, 5:36 p.m.

In the democratic state each and every person is equally respected and valued. Each person has the same right. Happy future of Ukraine is composed of the happy destiny of each of its citizens. I am not into politics since I firmly believe that all current political parties are not to defend the rights of people of Ukraine but to get power and use it in favor of their own iterests. So, my comments about langauge are not political but cultural. Russian is the native language of millions of Ukrainian citizens. It is our native language, our treasure, pride... When Ukraine can treasure all its native languages then Ukraine becomes truely democratic state respecting, equally repecting the rights of minorities to promote their languages. Russian is the treasure of Ukraine.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 7, 2012, 5:55 p.m.

Despite general instructions, mass operations in the Ukrainian SSR were special in that they were ethnically oriented. Charges of “Ukrainian chauvinism”, “nationalistic deviations”, sympathy for the “national counterrevolution” became the universal labels Cheka officers attached to innocent people as they invented criminal cases.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 3:26 a.m.

Dear Al Bala,
Since you responded to my post it means the post attracted your attention. Thank you. You also mention some historic events. I can tell you that when I commented this article I was writing about the present & future and not past events. Also, when I do not see reasoning in your posts. Your posts are pure politics.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 3:30 a.m.

Let me give You and examples. Imagine that we are talking about modern Germany (XXI century). Is Germany a modern developped country or a community of fashists? Is German a lnaguage spoken by Nazi people or German can be spoken by people of different political and social views? Should young German (20 and 30 year olds) ask for forgiveness at every corner about what SOME of their ancestors did?

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 8, 2012, 3:08 p.m.

The Germans do not impose their language on their neighbors.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 8, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

The murder of ten's of millions (10,000,000's) of Ukrainians and the centuries of destruction of the Ukrainian culture and language is " pure politics" ??

Learn the meaning of the word Genocide !

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 11, 2012, 5:37 a.m.

The criminal intent on part of the Kremlin is evidenced by its plan to re-populate the purposefully-depopulated areas. It shows that genocide was designed and executed by governmental order.

Evidence of this can be found (inter alia) in the documents of the aptly-named All-Union Resettlement Committee of the Council of Peoples’ Commissars. The documents – found in declassified Soviet archives in Russia and Ukraine – show that the government was literally counting on the deaths of hundreds of thousands in Ukraine in order to make room for “resettlers” from abroad. This was government-run ethnic cleansing.

A government resolution dated August 1933 orders AURC to “organize the resettlement of 10 thousand families to Kuban and Terek, and 15 to 20 thousand families to Ukraine… by the beginning of 1934.”

Four months later, the AURC reported the plan for resettling Ukraine was over-performed at 104 percent. The December 29, 1933 report is very detailed: “In total, 21,856 collective farm, 117,149 persons, 14,897 horses, 21,898 cows and 38,750 heads of other livestock have been relocated.”

A table in the doucment shows the “source” and “destination” oblasts. The sources are five oblasts in what are modern-day Russia and Belarus. The destination oblasts are four in Ukraine: Odesa, Donetsk, Kharkiv and Dnipropetrovsk.

{# <-- parent id goes here
stepankom Sept. 11, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

I agree with Al Bala- by the way what is the line of reasoning that leads you to conclude AFP are opponents of the language law- perhaps we could ask them ?

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 3:43 a.m.

Since other members of the forum mention history I will write about my history. I am am a citizen of Ukraine and I am Russian. I am also proud of being both. Ukraine is a great land and Russian ethnicity is my soul. My family lived on the territory of modern Ukraine for generations. My grandfather (born 1924) is from Odessa from gentry family. His father, a former White Officer, was executed by Soviets when my grandfather was very small. The family of my great-grandfather could leave Odessa and immigrate to France or the USA as many White Russians did after the loss to Soviets, but he loved the Motherland SO MUCH that decided to remain in our native city, our ODESSA. Do young people of today know what it means to be a member of "Enemy of Nation/Vrag Naroda" family? When your father is a former White Officer? When you are from the "wrong" origin? It means very hard and miserable life. Anyway, since many gentry families had a chance to keep records of their roots I know that my ancestors of that root came to the freed from Ottoman Turks lands and founded Odessa in the end of XVIII century. We Russian people founded Odessa and have lived here for more than 200 years.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 3:48 a.m.

I also have Polish heritage. My grandmother is from Lwow (born 1922). Lwow was a Polish city for about 600 years. I know that it was founded by people of Rus, but still 600 years is a long journey. Was it easy for my family to see how a ciity populated by Polish majority and large Jewish minority was changed by politicians into purely Ukrainian city? My grandmother passed away in 2007, but I still keep with me a small Russian-Polish vocabulary which she gifted to me when I was 4 or 5. She was a very kind-hearted person respecting and helping people whenever and wherever she could. During the war she helped a few Jews to survive risking her own life. What do young people of today know about the waves ofexpulsion of Poles from the territory of modern Ukraine? Her name was Angela, her family lived in Lwow at least since the beginning of XIX century (may be earlier).

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 3:57 a.m.

In 1918 linguistically, 89% of the city's population used the Polish language and 11% preferred the Ukrainian language in Lwow.

In the final days of collapsing Habsburg's empire, on November 1, 1918, Ukrainian soldiers from former Austrian army units occupied Lviv's public utilities and military objects, raised Ukrainian flags throughout the city and proclaimed the birth of the new Ukrainian state. While the Ukrainian residents enthusiastically supported the proclamation, the city's significant Jewish minority remained mostly neutral towards the Ukrainian proclamation and the Polish residents, constituting the majority of Lwow's inhabitants, were shocked to find themselves in a proclaimed Ukrainian state. Reacting to the Ukrainian military coup, Poles upraised throughout the city. Polish forces, initially numbering only about 200 people, organized a small pocket of resistance in a school at the western outskirts of the city, where a group of veterans of the Polish Military Organization put up a fight armed with 64 outdated rifles. After the initial clashes, the defenders were joined by hundreds of volunteers, mostly scouts, students and youngsters. More than 1000 people joined the Polish ranks in the first day of the fights.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 3:59 a.m.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 4:02 a.m.

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 8, 2012, 4:03 a.m.

There have been many mistakes in history, let us not make the new ones!!!

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 8, 2012, 3:57 p.m.

My Grandfather is from Southern Ukraine. The red army came into my Grandfather’s village in the 1920’s, and the red army took my Grandfather’s house because it was the only stone house in town. And then, the red army took my Grandfather – to hang him.

When they asked my Grandfather for his last request, He told the Moskali , “Please hang me low, so that you can kiss my a** close”.

The red army burned my Grandfather’s library. My Grandfather’s library contained my Family’s archives {and other archives} AND UKRAINIAN books and literature that went back over 400 years! Now the Donetsk court rules that there were no UKRAINIANS before 1991???

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 8, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

Gee ?

You claim to be proud of being a citizen of Ukraine.

But !

Your comments are anti-Ukrainian and pro-Russification of Ukraine.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 11, 2012, 5:08 a.m.

The First General Census of the Russian Empire of 1897.
Breakdown of population by mother tongue and districts* in 50 Governorates of the European Russia

Odessa district - nonurban :

86 616

Belarusian
215
134
349

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 17, 2012, 12:43 p.m.

In Odessa, the priest at the pedestrian crossing crushed student - media

PS Are "priests" allowed to murder little children in Odessa ?

{# <-- parent id goes here
Eugene Al Gagins Sept. 7, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

My native language is Russian and it belongs to me at the same degree as it belongs to other people whose native language is Russian. I am not less Russian than someone who is Russian from Tiraspol, Minsk or Moscow. But that does not mean that I have similar political views, background, goals... as those of Russian people in Tiraspol, Minsk, or Moscow. I love my country and want to build up prosperous Ukraine. I want to build Ukraine as multi-language and multi-cultural society. My position is different from the position of people who want to have Ukraine where only Ukrainian is official and where eventually all become ethnic Ukrainians speaking Ukrainian. It is my point of view which is as important as the point of other people. My point of view is shared by millions of other citizens of Ukraine whose native language is Russian.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 8, 2012, 4:34 p.m.

FAMOUS ESSAY by Rafael Lemkin, New York, NY, 1953

The fourth step in the process consisted in the fragmentation of the Ukrainian people at once by the addition to Ukraine of foreign peoples and by the dispersion of the Ukrainians throughout Eastern Europe. In this way, ethnic unity would be destroyed and nationalities mixed. Between 1920 and 1939, the population of Ukraine changed from 80 percent Ukrainian to only 63 percent.[8] In the face of famine and deportation, the Ukrainian population had declined absolutely from 23.2 million to 19.6 million, while the non-Ukrainian population had increased by 5.6 million. When we consider that Ukraine once had the highest rate of population increase in Europe, around 800,000 per year, it is easy to see that the Russian policy has been accomplished.

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 14, 2012, 12:07 a.m.

Among the Soviet republics, Ukraine was the “leader.” Show trials and executions of the so-called nationalists began earlier and reached a mass scale in the late 1920s-early 1930s. Stalin {AKA - Kremlin ; AKA - Muscovy} and his inner circle were very well aware that the planned collectivization would encounter stubborn resistance of the Ukrainian peasantry. The Holodomor could only be organized if the intelligentsia, the people’s elite, had been wiped out. The task was to break the backbone and deprive the nation of the bearers of its culture, language, and history, as well as to make people oblivious of their origin and home. In 1937 the NKVD {AKA -Kremlin} knew no restraint. In Kyiv oblast, 87 insurgent sabotage and terrorist organizations and 365 insurgent sabotage groups had been “exposed” as soon as by December 1937. The same thing in Ukraine’s other regions…

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 24, 2012, 6:02 p.m.

Why does Stus inspire more fear than Bandera?

{# <-- parent id goes here
AL BALA Sept. 24, 2012, 7:51 p.m.

Regions OFFERS RUSSIAN as equal to the state language

MP proposes to define the task of the language policy that Ukraine offers its citizens the right to free use of Russian as the language of the indigenous people of Ukraine,

PS To state, "Russian as the language of the indigenous people of Ukraine" is to be insanely delusional ! ! !

KyivPost