KyivPost

Ukraine decides not to renew coach's contract

Print version
Dec. 23, 2009, 4:47 p.m. |
Ukraine have not renewed the contract of coach Olexiy Mykhaylychenko after the national team failed to qualify for next year's World Cup in South Africa, the soccer federation said on Dec. 23. "Mykhaylychenko had a contract until Nov. 30. We have no new contract with him," a federation spokesman said.

Ukraine FA President Hryhory Surkis said last month he wanted Romanian Mircea Lucescu, the coach of UEFA Cup winners Shakhtar Donetsk, to replace Mykhaylychenko. He said he would consult Shakhtar's billionaire owner Rinat Akhmetov.

"I will recommend his candidature to the congress of the football federation," Surkis said.

Lucescu, who was appointed as Shakhtar's coach in 2004, has taken the club to three Ukrainian championships and the UEFA Cup.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.