KyivPost

Bulgaria releases image of suicide bomber

Print version
Aug. 1, 2012, 3:46 p.m. | World — by Associated Press

In this image released by the press office of the Bulgarian Interior Ministry on Wednesday Aug. 1, 2012 shows a computer-generated image of the suicide bomber who staged the July 18, 2012 terror attack in Burgas, Bulgaria.
© AP

SOFIA, Bulgaria — Bulgarian police on Wednesday released a computer-generated image of the suicide attacker involved in the bombing in Bulgaria that killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver two weeks ago.

A police statement said the image of the dark-haired man was produced after reconstructing the badly damaged face of the bomber, who was decapitated in the explosion at a popular vacation resort on July 18.

The photo was sent to partner services for possible identification after fingerprints and DNA samples taken from the bomber did not match anything in international databases, said Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov.

He told reporters the explosives were attached to the bomber's back. Earlier reports had said the bag of explosive was placed in the luggage compartment of a bus the tourists were traveling in at Burgas airport.

Investigators, who had found only the bomber's head and limbs, also were suggesting the bomb had been attached to his torso.

Tsvetanov said the attacker had spent "at least 20 days in Bulgaria ahead of the bombing."

Last week, Prime Minister Boiko Borisov said a sophisticated group of conspirators was involved in the bombing at the Black Sea resort town.

Israel has blamed the attack on Iran and its proxy groups, including the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. Iran has denied responsibility, and Bulgarian authorities have not blamed any particular group.

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.
comments powered by Disqus

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.