KyivPost

IOM: No spike in human trafficking at Euro 2012

Print version
Sept. 4, 2012, 1:12 p.m. | World — by Associated Press

International migration officials say the European football (soccer) championship earlier this summer did not result in a spike in human trafficking and other forms of smuggling as some experts and law enforcement agencies had feared.
© courtesy

Associated Press

Associated Press

GENEVA — International migration officials say the European football (soccer) championship earlier this summer did not result in a spike in human trafficking and other forms of smuggling as some experts and law enforcement agencies had feared. 

The International Organization for Migration says preliminary findings from its research shows there was no increase in the number of victims of sexual or labor exploitation or in child begging that could be linked to the Euro 2012 tournament despite an additional 1 million people entering Poland and Ukraine during June.

IOM spokesman Jean-Philippe Chauzy told reporters Tuesday in Geneva that its anti-trafficking hotlines also did not register an increase in calls.

The European Union had deployed dozens of officers to Poland's eastern border and various travel hubs across Europe to fight human trafficking. 

The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.