KyivPost

Minister: Swine flu outbreak threatens at World Cup

Print version
Feb. 15, 2010, 7:51 p.m. | World — by Reuters

Reuters

CAPE TOWN, Feb 15 (Reuters) - South Africa faces a possible health crisis if a swine flu outbreak strikes during the soccer World Cup this year, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi told parliament on Feb. 15. "One of our biggest nightmares is the fact that 2010 is going to be held in June when there is a possibility of another bout of H1N1," Motsoaledi said.

The month-long tournament, hosted in Africa for the first time, is expected to attract 450,000 tourists during the South African winter.

Motsoaledi said the department of health had managed to acquire 1.3 million doses of the H1N1 vaccine and another 3.5 million doses from the World Health Organisation (WHO).

"We received a letter from the World Health Organisation that they are going to donate to South Africa 3.5 million doses of H1N1 which will arrive in this country by March," he said, adding that the WHO donation saved South Africa about 250 million rand ($32.48 million).

The WHO, which declared swine flu a pandemic in June last year, has been in discussions with South African government officials on how to reduce the risk of the influenza spreading at the tournament. [ID:nLS620790]

The H1N1 virus has spread globally and killed nearly 5,000 people since first appearing in early 2009. Pregnant women and people with health problems such as diabetes are the most at risk.

"We are going to be vaccinating...starting with pregnant women, people at entry points, people who are involved in sports administration," said Motsoaledi. He said vaccinations would start soon.
The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/. The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow. Thank you from the Kyiv Post.

KyivPost

© 1995–2015 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.