NATO will continue to target Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces as long as they continue to threaten civilians, a NATO official said on Monday.
South African President Jacob Zuma has urged NATO to stop air strikes on government targets to give a ceasefire "a chance", after Gaddafi accepted an African Union roadmap for ending the conflict in Libya including an immediate ceasefire.
"We will continue to put pressure on forces threatening civilians and our operations will continue," a NATO official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.
"Our aircraft are still flying and when we see a threat to civilians, we will engage," the official said.
The official said Libyan government forces shelled the Libyan city of Misrata on Monday morning.
"It does not appear that this indication of a peace deal has any substance at this point," the official said.
Earlier on Monday, NATO said it had taken note of reports of the African Union ceasefire proposal, adding it welcomed all contributions to the international effort aimed at stopping violence against the civilian population.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.
Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the
www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials
contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior
written permission of Public Media at email@example.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal
use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of