KyivPost

Swine flu kills 56 in Egypt since October

Print version
Dec. 27, 2010, 4:58 p.m. | World — by Reuters
A resurgent H1N1 swine flu virus has infected 1,172 people in Egypt and killed 56 since Oct. 8, a Ministry of Health official said on Monday. The virus has infected 16,373 people, of whom 281 died, since it was first reported in Egypt in June 2009, said the official, who asked not to be named.

H1N1 flu broke out in 2009 and quickly spread across the world. The World Health Organisation said about 18,450 people died from the virus, including many pregnant women and young people. Last year Cairo took various initiatives to try to limit the spread of H1N1, including culling all pigs in the country, temporarily closing schools and stopping travellers with fever at airports.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.