THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The prosecutor of the U.N's Yugoslavia war crimes court demanded on Wednesday a 28-year prison term for a Serbian nationalist leader indicted for murder, persecution and torture of non-Serbs during the 1990s Balkan wars.
Vojislav Seselj, a Serbian Radical Party leader, is accused of instigating "murder, extermination, persecution, torture and cruel treatment" of non-Serbs as part of efforts to create a "Greater Serbia" during the break-up of the former Yugoslavia at the end of the Cold War.
"His crime is grave by scale and heinous by nature," Prosecutor Mathias Marcussen said in his closing argument.
The indictment alleges Seselj was involved in recruitment and financing of Serbian paramilitary units which aimed to expel all non-Serbs form territories in Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia.
Members of those units, many of whom had been Seselj's supporters, murdered, persecuted and deported hundreds of Muslims and Croats from Serb-held areas in Bosnia and Croatia.
"He (Seselj) is guilty of all the crimes set out in the indictment," Marcussen said. "This crime deserves the punishment that reflects gravity.".
Seselj had requested in March, 2011 that he be acquitted on nine counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, arguing that there was no evidence to convict him. He requested damages for more than eight years in detention.
The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague dismissed his request and ordered the trial to continue with the presentation of his defence.
Although still in detention, Seselj has strong political influence on the nationalist electorate in Serbia, attracting votes of so called 'transition victims' who lost their jobs and economic wealth after the country came out of isolation in 2000.
Seselj, who is representing himself at the trial, will present his closing argument next week.
The Kyiv Post is disabling its online comment section due to an increase in trolls, violent comments and other personal attacks. Other news organizations worldwide have taken similar steps for the same reasons. The Kyiv Post regrets having to take this action. The newspaper believes in a robust public debate, but the discussion must be constructive and intelligent. For the time being, the Kyiv Post will allow comments on its moderated Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyivpost/.
The newspaper will consider hosting online comments again when circumstances allow.
Thank you from the Kyiv Post.
Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the
www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials
contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior
written permission of Public Media at firstname.lastname@example.org
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal
use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of