Melnychenko asks court not to extradite him to Ukraine
A court in Naples on Monday took no decision regarding the extradition of former State Department Guard Major Mykola Melnychenko to Ukraine, his lawyer, Mykola Nedilko, has said.
"A court in Naples took no final decision regarding the extradition of Melnychenko to Ukraine, because during a court hearing Melnychenko made a statement that he opposes extradition," he told reporters on Monday.
He said that now the Italian Justice Ministry should consider this application within ten days and make a decision. If it is decided to extradite Melnychenko to Ukraine, the hearing on this issue will continue.
"If Melnychenko's request is granted, then he must be released," the lawyer said.
As reported, reports said on August 3 that Melnychenko had been arrested at Naples Airport on a warrant issued by the Ukrainian bureau of Interpol.
The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively public debate through the Disqus system. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. The Kyiv Post will ban flagrant violators. If you think that a comment or commentator should be banned, please flag the offending material.comments powered by Disqus