Global Communities, is seeking qualified short-term consultants for USAID-funded Decentralization Offering Better Results and Efficiency Program (DOBRE):
POSITION: Local Government Service Delivery Consultants (LGSDC)
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE: 2-3 months
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: Communities located in Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Kherson, Kirovohrad, Mykolaiv, Ivano-Frankivsk, and Ternopil oblasts
LOE (Level of Effort) DAYS: 30 LOE days per consultant per a community, number of communities per consultant 2-3
Global Communities is implementing the USAID funded Decentralization Offering Better Results and Efficiency (DOBRE) program in Ukraine. Launched in 2016, this 5-year project is helping leaders of newly formed Amalgamated Territorial Communities (ATC) to effectively manage resources, increase the quality of public services, stimulate local economies, and improve citizen engagement.
DOBRE is now in the process of guiding community stakeholders through a participatory strategic planning process that engages citizens, identifies issues, allocates resources, and creates and implements programs that address priority needs of the communities.
The purpose of this task is to provide practical trainings and consulting so that community leaders enhance the skills needed to deliver services to their citizens.
Local Government Service Delivery Consultants (LGSDC) will assist provision of trainings and consulting to improve the delivery of Public Services of Amalgamated Communities to citizens. The list of services include, but not limited to municipal waste management, water supply, cleaning and landscaping, street lighting and other services being under the competencies of the local government.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / SPECIFIC TASKS:
DOBRE will select applicants capable of providing newly Amalgamated Territorial Communities (ATCs) training, advisory and other tasks for Service Delivery Improvement Plan (SDIP) development in DOBRE selected communities in 7 oblasts of Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Kherson, Kirovohrad, Mykolayiv, Ivano-Frankivsk and Ternopil.
Training will be designed to enable municipal staff, service companies, and citizens to work together in setting indicators for a good performance management practice and creating Service Delivery Improvement Plans (SDIPs), or Performance Management Plans. Individuals may apply for the elaboration of SDIP in a certain service (or more) in several Consolidated Communities/Oblasts, or they may apply for several services to work in certain Oblast(s).
SDIP is based on the certain service priority defined by the citizens and includes the features of establishing Working Group, collecting baseline information on the current operating environment of service performance, setting short-medium-goals for the prioritized service, defining performance measures – indicators for measurement further performance, comprehensive plan for action, outlining operation and maintenance plan and establishing monitoring and evaluation activity to oversee the service performance.
Specific tasks for Improving Public Service Delivery:
Task 1: Establish Service Delivery Improvement working groups (WG) consisted of municipal officials, service providers, citizen representative, other stakeholder and guide their efforts to collect and organize data related to public service delivery and customer satisfaction. To prepare materials and provide approximately 8 sessions with each WG and report to DOBRE Kiev office Local Government Service Delivery component staff.
Task 2: To work with WGs through meetings and sessions to elaborate Service Delivery Improvement Plan (SDIP) on the certain service selected by the community, which includes collection of baseline information, provision of situational analysis, setting short-medium-long term targets, defining performance measure – indicators for measurement further performance, compiling action plan and outlining maintenance plan and evaluation activity.
Task 3: To arrange conducting citizen interviews and surveys to collect information on citizen feedback on quality of public services and assist partner municipalities to set citizen outreach, awareness and education as a routine practice in their activity for further service improvement.
In each assigned DOBRE partner community, the selected applicants are expected to produce deliverable(s) related to the specific Task(s) described above:
- Service Delivery Improvement working group(s) create public services data base
- Comprehensive Service Delivery Improvement Plan: materials developed and reported for each practical session.
- Citizen public service quality survey(s) completed
COORDINATION AND SUPERVISION:
Selected applicants will be expected to participate in 1-day ToT session in Kyiv and work consistently in partnership with DOBRE’s international and local experts.
Trainings and instructions will be provided to the selected applicants before the start of the work.
THE SELECTION PROCESS:
Global Communities will select consultants based on meeting the following criteria:
- Experience and knowledge of performance management of certain services provided preferably on local government/municipal level, including but not limited to Municipal Waste Management, Water Supply, Cleaning and Landscaping, Street Lighting and other services being under the competencies of local government, performance measurement practice associated with citizen outreach activity and citizen feedback on service quality provided by local governments.
- Proven knowledge of decentralization processes;
- Previous experience (or ability to demonstrate the capacity) working with the amalgamated communities, facilitating public meetings in community;
- Previous experience working with local self-government associations is an advantage;
- Working level of English language is desirable.
In submitted application, applicants should:
- Clearly identify and describe how they propose to complete the described activities providing samples of work and references (clients/participants) demonstrating their competence for each service they propose, and:
- Identify which Oblasts they propose to deliver the activity or service as justified by their experience and demonstrated outreach capacity to provide the services to ATCs in selected Oblasts.
To apply please send your CV as well as cover letter with summary of your experience as described above to UkraineHR@globalcommunities.org indicating “Local Government Service Delivery Consultant” in the subject line by July 31, 2017.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone inquiries will be accepted.