SENIOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT IN SUPPORT OF THE UKRAINE’S REFORMS ARCHITECTURE PROJECT (Kyiv)
In late 2014, the Ukrainian authorities asked the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (“EBRD” or the “Bank”), as an institution with a mandate to support broad policy and institutional reforms in the transition region, to help with the conceptualization and implementation of the reforms process in Ukraine, in the context of implementation of the “Strategy 2020”.
Ukraine’s Reforms Architecture consists of the following strands:
In 2015, the EBRD started providing technical assistance to the National Reforms Council’s Project Management Office (NRC PMO), the Council’s technical implementation body. In 2016, the Project Management Office was transformed into a Support Team (NRC ST) to continue to assist the committee with technical support, coordinate efforts with other institutions in the reforms architecture and provide regular reporting on the progress of reforms and Reforms Delivery Office under the Prime Minister, with a focus on ensuring consistency and efficiency of reform delivery across the Government.
The Reform Support Teams (RSTs) are formed of local, Ukrainian reform experts from outside the Ukrainian civil service and embedded in Ministries and agencies on a temporary basis to help implement priority sector reforms and transform the institutions themselves.
Another part of the Reforms Architecture is a high-level international Strategic Advisory Group for Support of Ukrainian Reforms (SAGSUR), which provides strategic advice to the President and the Prime Minister of Ukraine. The group advises on the effective implementation of reforms, based on first-hand successful experience in other countries, offering best practice and linkage to international resources. SAGSUR is headed by Ivan Mikloš, former Minister of Finance of the Slovak Republic.
In light of the growing Project scope and increasing demand from various Ministries and institutions to receive support under the Ukraine Reforms Architecture project, the need for a Kyiv-based Senior Project Management Consultant (the ‘Consultant’) is essential. By being based on the ground, the Consultant will provide senior support on the project, local insights, contribute to the establishment of new assignments under, engage in effective coordination with senior government counterparts and other donors, and ensure coordination within EBRD related to the project scope (the ‘Assignment’).
The contracting entity shall be the Bank.
The tasks of the Consultant will include, inter alia, the following:
- Provide senior support to the project team (Operation Leader and Project Management Consultants based in EBRD Headquarters and Kyiv Regional Office) in the smooth running and implementation of the Project;
- Contribute with intellectual leadership to the project design, identifying areas for further strategic growth by bringing best international practices;
- Proactively monitor reforms progress in Ukraine and suggest changes to project’s design as necessary to reflect changing circumstances;
- Skilfully deploy local political insights in order to effectively engage different stakeholders in achieving the project’s current and future goals;
- Establish and maintain close cooperation with other IFIs, international organisations, civil society and donors working on reforms implementation in Ukraine in order to identify possible areas of project intervention, avoid duplication of the reform efforts, and ensure effective donor coordination.
- Closely engage with all strands of the Reforms Architecture with the aim of ensuring consistency and complementarity with other streams of the Reforms Architecture project;
- Represent EBRD as a delegated member of Recruitment Committee during the selection and recruitment of experts for Reform Support Teams and Reforms Delivery Office, in close liaison with the relevant Ministry or agency, Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Foundation for Reforms;
- Ensure collaboration with the respective units / officers from the EU Delegation to Ukraine for effective joint delivery of the project;
- Ensure close oversight and maintain regular communications (including progress meetings) with project counterparts, such as various Ministries, representatives of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, Foundation for Reforms;
- Monitor and control budget activities of the assignments under all streams of the Project;
- As required, represent the Bank in conferences and other events in Ukraine, speaking competently on relevant reform-related issues.
- Contribute to internal reforms-related meetings and discussions held by the Senior Management of Kyiv RO and London HQ, debrief colleagues on progress of the Ukraine Reforms Architecture project;
- Any other relevant tasks as requested by the Operation Leader.
This is full-time role and the Consultant shall be based at the EBRD Kyiv Regional Office.
Interested applicants are invited to read the Terms of Reference for additional information on the scope of services required.
Assignment Start Date and Duration:
The Assignment is expected to start in September 2017 and last for 12 months with a possible extension, subject to business needs, satisfactory performance of the Consultant, and the availability of further funding.
The contract will be financed through the EBRD-Ukraine Stabilisation and Sustainable Growth Multi-Donor Account.
Individual services are required. The Consultant shall be an expert with preferably the following qualifications, experience and personal qualities:
Advanced degree in a relevant field, such as economics, politics, law, public policy or political economy.
- Preferably 10 years or more of public administration experience, including extensive relevant experience in public administration, international financial institutions, donor organizations or business environment, including strong understanding of the ongoing reforms processes in Ukraine;
- Extensive hands-on experience in Ukraine or other EBRD recipient countries; private sector experience a plus;
- Strong experience managing projects in a multi-cultural environment and delivering results;
- A strong understanding of the reforms processes complemented with basic knowledge of its input into the economics/finance situation in Ukraine; and
- Strong understanding of economic reforms, economic regulation, governance, public administration and political economy issues in the transition region and knowledge of economics/finance.
- Ability to operate independently in political, diplomatic and business environments; diplomatic skills required for regular contact with senior national and international officials;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills in English at the standard required for official documents; and
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian is essential.
In order to determine the capability and experience of experts seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
- Cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarising how the expert believes he/she satisfies the requirements as defined above under Consultant Profile;
- CV (not exceeding 4 pages) which should include full descriptions of responsibilities carried out, not just a job title, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives.
Submissions must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by July 31, 2017 to the following address: StasiukK@ebrd.com
Only complete submissions, containing the above, can be considered. Selected applicants will be invited to the interview.