Title: Senior Project Officer
Provided by: International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES)
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Expected starting date: September 15, 2017
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES), a non-profit international organization, supports citizens’ right to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance to election officials, and by empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.
IFES works to foster discussion on electoral law reform, build the capacity of civil society to analyze and advocate on election law issues, ensure Ukraine’s ability to enact critical political finance reforms through assistance to the National Agency for the Prevention of Corruption (NAPC), and strengthen the capacity of election officials through technical assistance to the Central Election Commission (CEC). IFES support has focused on both the process and content of reform by promoting inclusive dialogue among stakeholders and providing technical assistance in the development of legislation consistent with international and European standards. Dovetailing with election law reform is the objective to improve transparency and oversight of political finance. IFES has been directly involved in the conceptualization and drafting of reform legislation, including recent efforts to reform the Law on Local Elections and comprehensive political finance reform. In addition, IFES is working with local civil society organizations to develop and promote measures that address women’s underrepresentation in Ukrainian politics and make local and national elections more accessible to persons with disabilities.
IFES is a leader in the field of public opinion research in Ukraine. Since 1994, IFES has conducted 25 nationwide public opinion surveys in the country, examining socio-political issues, and attitudes towards elections and democracy, among other topics. Data from these surveys have enabled IFES to focus its technical assistance and to provide valuable and up to date information and analysis to donors and researchers.
The Senior Project Officer will design and implement IFES Ukraine’s programmatic interventions and assistance to public authorities/institutions (such as election management bodies, the NAPC, and the judiciary) that are engaged in the areas of elections and political finance. Interventions will be designed and implemented in line with approved proposal, budgets, workplans, and performance monitoring plans.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide support to the Project Manager in meeting programmatic goals and in the development and implementation activities including but not limited to, strengthening capacity of the CEC and lower-level commissions, State Voter Register Service and regional divisions, and the NAPC; interventions may include the introduction of IT systems in their operations, strategic planning, assessments, day-to-day consultations, building bridges and improving collaboration between government stakeholders, civil society and the media;
• Ensure programmatic implementation of assistance to public authorities working in electoral and political finance areas;
• As needed, oversee sub-grantee activities and work closely with sub-grantee;
• Lead efforts to plan and organize events, workshops, trainings, etc. as necessary;
• Establish, maintain and develop productive working relationships with CEC and NAPC, partner organizations;
• Provide oversight over relevant subaward recipients, maintaining relationships and monitoring their activities and results;
• Upon request of supervisor participate in various forums; organize events as necessary;
• Contribute to regular programmatic reports to donors and IFES HQ;
• Contribute regularly to monitoring & evaluation data collection;
• Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS and SPECIFICATIONS
• The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
• The ability to complete tasks with limited supervision;
• Excellent reporting and document handling skills;
• Excellent communication skills in order to be able to work with IFES program and administrative staff to identify and resolve issues;
• Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality;
• Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment;
• Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
• Ability to handle sensitive issues and address inclusion matters with integrity.
EDUCATION and QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field, Master’s preferred;
- Minimum of four years of relevant working experience;
- Experience working on democracy and governance programs;
- Demonstrated experience working with senior governmental officials, local governments and NGOs;
- Excellent knowledge of political issues and elections;
- Excellent knowledge of Ukraine’s media and civil society landscape and stakeholders;
- Experience organizing events and logistics;
- Training/facilitation skill/qualification a plus;
- Experience working on USAID/UK/Canada-funded programs a plus;
- Proficiency in Word, Power point, Outlook and Excel
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in written and spoken English, Ukrainian, and Russian languages required.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV and letter of interest, with “Application for Senior Project Officer” in the subject line, to Natalia Tarasiuk at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 18, 2017.