KyivPost

FIFA picks US attorney as corruption prosecutor

Print version
July 17, 2012, 3:02 p.m. | Sports — by Associated Press

A television broadcast van stands next to a FIFA sign prior to a press conference following the extraordinary meeting of the FIFA Executive Committee, at the FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, Tuesday, July 17, 2012. FIFA ruling board members meet on Tuesday to appoint a corruption prosecutor who will be urged to investigate how hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were awarded. As part of FIFA President Sepp Blatter's anti-corruption reforms, his executive committee in Zurich will choose lawyers to lead independent prosecuting and judging chambers of a revamped ethics court. FIFA's top anti-corruption adviser, Mark Pieth, told The Associated Press the scheduled appointments are key to modernizing football's scandal-hit world governing body.
© AP

Associated Press

Associated Press

ZURICH — FIFA has appointed former United States attorney Michael J. Garcia as lead prosecutor to investigate allegations of corruption in world football.

 FIFA President Sepp Blatter confirmed the appointment by Twitter on Tuesday.

One of Garcia's first tasks will be to inspect a Swiss court document on a World Cup kickbacks scandal to evaluate the behavior of Blatter and other senior officials in the affair.

Garcia should have authority to order fresh probes into other old cases, including claims about how FIFA executive committee members awarded hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

His appointment by that same ruling board is seen as a crucial step in Blatter's promised anti-corruption reforms.

FIFA also selected German judge Joachim Eckert to chair the judging chamber of its ethics court.

Garcia and Eckert are seen as key independent figures from outside the so-called "football family" who can help restore FIFA's credibility after bribery and vote-buying scandals.

Blatter's ruling board agreed to create a two-chamber ethics court to prosecute cases more effectively after a panel of anti-corruption experts advising FIFA said previous cases were "insufficiently investigated."

The 13-member panel, led by Swiss law professor Mark Pieth, wants Garcia to examine claims surrounding how Russia and Qatar came to get World Cup hosting rights in a December 2010 poll of FIFA's executive committee.

Several senior FIFA officials were reported to have received payments or sought unethical favors from bidders, and Blatter has acknowledged that some breached bidding rules by joining a pact to back Qatar and the failed Spain-Portugal bid.

Garcia and Eckert had to fulfill a FIFA statute that neither they, nor their families, had a paid connection to football in the past four years.

Garcia was linked to an expected vacancy to lead the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation last year, before President Barack Obama extended the term of 10-year incumbent Robert Mueller.

During the administration of President George W. Bush, Garcia headed the 20,000-employee Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agency in the Department of Homeland Security.

Eckert, who was a presiding state court judge in Munich, is a specialist in high-profile bribery cases including one which exposed billion-dollar payments made by German telecommunications firm Siemens.

Pieth's group suggested four candidates for each of the positions to be decided on Tuesday, including Eckert. FIFA looked elsewhere for Garcia's nomination.

FIFA declined to appoint war crimes prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo of Argentina who was widely reported to be the advisory panel's preferred choice.

The Kyiv Post is hosting comments to foster lively debate. Criticism is fine, but stick to the issues. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks will be removed from the site. If you think that a posted comment violates these standards, please flag it and alert us. We will take steps to block violators.

KyivPost

© 1995–2014 Public Media

Web links to Kyiv Post material are allowed provided that they contain a URL hyperlink to the www.kyivpost.com material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. Otherwise, all materials contained on this site are protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of Public Media at news@kyivpost.com
All information of the Interfax-Ukraine news agency placed on this web site is designed for internal use only. Its reproduction or distribution in any form is prohibited without a written permission of Interfax-Ukraine.