Ukraine’s security service has said a drone attack that left several villages in Russia's Kursk region without electricity overnight was deliberately carried out by Kyiv so that “Russians… experience for themselves what a ‘blackout’ is.”
On the night of Sept 26, a Ukrainian UAV dropped explosives on an electricity substation in the village of Snagost in Korenevsky District.
Seven settlements in the area were left without power, Kursk Governor Roman Starovoit said on Tuesday.
A Kyiv Post source in the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) confirmed the drone attack, saying it was “evidence that SBU special operations are reaching a new level.”
They added: "The Russians should understand that if they are going to continue attacking Ukrainian energy facilities, they will receive a harsh response.
“Therefore, I really want Russians to experience for themselves what a ‘blackout’ is.”
The attack comes four days after Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmygal warned Russia had renewed attacks on Ukraine's own energy infrastructure, which suffered major outages last year after Russian attacks.
It’s not the only Ukrainian drone success reported on Tuesday – in a single night, Ukrainian forces obliterated more than $7 million worth of Russian equipment with the assistance of a covert domestic drone, Kyiv has claimed.
"The secret Ukrainian drone is in action - the Russians are losing equipment worth over $7 million in a single night. The operators of the 'Army of Drones' have created a real hell for the occupiers," announced Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine, Mykhailo Fedorov, via his Telegram on Tuesday, September 26.
You can also highlight the text and press Ctrl + Enter