The Russian military has once again targeted a thermal power plant belonging to DTEK, the largest private investor in Ukraine’s energy industry, in the frontline region on Monday, Oct. 30, but the Energy Ministry said Ukraine is ready for the winter season, anticipating no blackouts.
“Yesterday evening, Russia initiated an attack on one of DTEK’s thermal power plants in the frontline region. The equipment suffered significant damage due to the terrorist shelling,” the company’s press service reported on Tuesday, Oct, 31.
Because of the damage, residents of a nearby settlement were left without access to electricity and water. Fortunately, there were no casualties, according to the energy company.
DTEK said that immediate action was taken following the cessation of the shelling to address the aftermath.
“Every effort is currently being made to swiftly restore energy supply to Ukrainian households,” the company assured.
Before this incident, on Oct, 22, Russian forces had shelled another DTEK thermal power plant in eastern Ukraine, resulting in significant equipment damage.
As of May, it was reported that DTEK Energo’s thermal power plants had been targeted by Russian attacks 33 times since last September.
Earlier, the Minister of Energy of Ukraine, Herman Galushchenko, had affirmed that the Ukrainian energy system is well-prepared for the winter season, with no planned power outages.
“However, it should be noted that the consequences of these attacks, and the extent of destruction caused, are the only factors that could potentially lead to blackouts or disconnections,” Galushchenko emphasized.
DTEK’s Telegram Post attempted to allay worries by ending with: “Let’s persevere. We will win.”
You can also highlight the text and press Ctrl + Enter